“Do not be afraid, for I am with you.” This is a line that is repeated throughout the entire Bible, from beginning to end. Sometimes repetition can become boring or monotonous, but it often indicates a growth area. We need to be reminded over and over of the things that we easily forget.

It is often difficult for people to remember the presence of God because God is intangible. We cannot see God. God does not extend a physical hand to us when we are troubled. Because of this, it is so easy for us to feel alone. And when we feel alone we often become afraid.

This can happen in many different circumstances. It can happen in the workplace, at home, between friends…in the hospital.

But it is in these times of loneliness and fear that the Spirit whispers the words “Do not be afraid, for I am with you.”

We often hear this in Psalm 23 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.”
And Isaiah 41:10 reminds us So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
And God fulfilled that promise tangibly through the life of Jesus – Immanuel – “God with us.”
And even though he was crucified, he rose again. And before he ascended into heaven he declared “I am with you always – even until the end of the age.”
And now through the church, all the people of God, we still experience the presence of God.

May we work today to bring the presence of God to one another.
And when we feel alone and afraid, may we remember God’s promise: “Do not be afraid, for I am with you.”
0 Responses