“While Jesus was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head. Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, “Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor.” And they rebuked her harshly. “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me….She did what she could….Truly I tell you, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

Whenever I hear this story, I marvel at the bravery of this unnamed woman.

This woman had the guts to bring her gift to Jesus. While she might have wondered what the onlookers would have thought, she didn’t seem to question Jesus’ acceptance of her gift.

Perhaps you think like I do. I often wonder how other people will perceive my actions. I wonder if they will rebuke me for my gift, seeing ways in which I could have accomplished more or helped more people. But, I don’t stop there. When I think of the gifts I have, they seem wimpy compared either to what I truly desire to bring or to the gifts of the people around me. And so I back away. I stay hidden in the corners of the room, protecting myself from what others might think and from the possibility of Jesus rejecting me and my gift.

But, when I read this story I am reminded that, while my fears of other people might be well-founded, my fears of Jesus are completely unfounded. Jesus, the real Jesus, would never reject a gift no matter how rash or small or flawed it seems to be. Jesus doesn’t look so much at the gift itself, but at the loving heart of the person brave enough to bring it. And that loving, giving heart is what Jesus desires most.

I’d like to invite you to think about the gifts you are withholding. Whether you are afraid of rejection by other people or by Jesus, I like to encourage you to be bold and offer your gift, not worrying about what others might think, and knowing with certainty that Jesus will accept you and your gift gladly.
0 Responses