For the most part, I have a terrible memory when it comes to my childhood. It’s difficult for me to recall certain family activities or games my brother and I played together. But one thing that is absolutely burned into my memory is my nighttime ritual with my parents. While there were little things about it that varied from night to night, almost always my mom and dad would come in, tuck the covers snugly around me, and sing “The Cradle Song.” On special nights, my dad would sing his “Daddy Mix” which blended together many different songs about Jesus – “Jesus Loves Me,” “Jesus Loves the Little Children,” “Jesus Is With Me All Day Long.”

From the time I was an infant until now, my sound of my parents’ voices singing is very comforting to me. They don’t have the best sounding voices and they never sang with great technical skill, but the sound of their voices puts me at ease in a way little else can. It reminds me that I am safe and I am loved, no matter what else is happening in my life.

Perhaps my story has brought some fond memories into your mind. Times when your parents sang lovingly over you. Or perhaps your closest memory is one of singing to your own child or grandchild. Expressing your love for them through a beautiful melody. Maybe a specific song has spoken to you over the years, nourishing your soul, making you feel safe and loved.

One of my favorite verses is Zephaniah 3:16, 17.

"Do not fear, O Zion;
do not let your hands hang limp.
17 The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."

I love the language of this passage. God is not just hovering over me detached and uncaring. God is saving, full of delight, generous with his love, and singing a joyful song over me, and over you. Perhaps this is exactly what you need. In a time of trouble, confusion, and fear you need a reminder that God loves you deeply and you need to listen closely and hear God’s voice sweetly singing in your ear a song of love and peace. Or maybe in a time of plenty you need to hear this song of love again so that you do not forget that this loving God is your source of life and love.

May you be blessed as God’s song of love and joy fills your ears and heart throughout the day.
0 Responses