As long as I can remember, I've always loved food. In middle school, high school and early college I prided myself on being able to eat as much as the boys...and occasionally even more! But, more than I loved how much I could eat, I loved tasting new flavors and new flavor combinations.

My dad has undoubtedly influenced me in my love for food. Anyone who knows Dad has heard him recommend "the best" restaurant in town, tell stories of "the best" meals he has eaten while traveling, or, if you've eaten with him, it's likely you've heard his exclamations about how delicious the food tastes - perhaps it's the best he has ever had (this isn't as rare of a statement as one might expect).

Now, you might assume that I cook regularly because of my love for food. But I don't. It's not that I don't enjoy cooking - in fact, I quite enjoy it. The reasons I don't cook are four-fold:
1) I don't like cleaning up the mess I make.
2) Part of the food experience is sharing the end result with others...being single, this doesn't happen often.
3) Cooking can be expensive and I'm relatively poor.
4) I am in graduate school and am far too busy to cook on a regular basis.

As a result, I depend on TV to provide my "fix" of the cooking experience. I love shows like Top Chef, Iron Chef America, and Dinner: Impossible. Even though the experience is quite weakened due to the lack of smell, touch, and taste, I love every bit of these shows. I love learning about ingredients, knowing what words like "julienne" and "ceviche" mean, and seeing how these creative chefs use their imaginations to create a brilliant dish I could never come up with in my wildest dreams. Seriously, every time I watch these shows I want to cook...or at least eat something! (This has turned out to be a bit dangerous for the waist-line!)

Who knows...perhaps I've missed my calling to go to culinary school and become a professional chef. However, I prefer to think that I can keep it on the side as a sort of muse. Perhaps then, it can stay fresh and exciting for me, always leaving me wanting more.
Labels: edit post
0 Responses